Eastward extension of the Rapibus corridor
The Rapibus is the first bus rapid transit (BRT) system to have seen the light of day in Quebec. Since 2013, that corridor, exclusively reserved for buses, has linked the Taché-UQO and Labrosse stations. The extension between the Labrosse and Lorrain stations is expected to be completed in fall 2023. In parallel with the construction work, an opportunity study for the extension to Boulevard de l'Aéroport is underway.
Additional section to boulevard Lorrain
The 2.8 km portion will run along the existing train tracks. It will link the Labrosse and Lorrain stations, stopping at the future Lac-Beauchamp station.
It will include, among other things:
- a 2.8-kilometre two-lane road reserved for buses;
- a 2.8-kilometre paved multi-purpose bike path;
- a station with all-season bus access to parc du Lac-Beauchamp; and
- two crossings over the multi-purpose path, and one next to the Lac-Beauchamp station.
This will give you an idea of what this extension will look like
From the very start of the project, we were committed to complying with all of the environmental requirements, laws and regulations in effect. As well, we are introducing a series of environmental measures to reduce, as much as possible, the impact of the construction work.
The construction area, including the existing train tracks, will represent approximately 3% of the park's total surface area.
We are working in collaboration with:
- Ville de Gatineau,
- Quebec's ministère des Transports,
- Quebec's ministère de l'Environnement et de la Lutte contre les changements climatiques,
- Quebec's ministère des Forêts, de la Faune et des Parcs;
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada, and
- JFSA, a firm specializing in the environment and water.
Work is progressing well and the schedule is being respected. Indeed, the peatlands have been consolidated, the culverts are installed and a first layer of asphalt is in place. During the spring and summer of 2023, the final paving layer will be applied, the floor markings will be completed as well as landscaping, the Lac-Beauchamp station will be finalized in addition to the environmental measures related to the project. Commissioning is therefore planned for autumn 2023.
System changes in Labrosse and Lorrain sectors
Considering that the extension will bring new public transit opportunities, the routes 73, 74, 75, 77, 78, 79, 88 and 97 could be redesigned. Some of the Rapibus corridor routes could be extended to Lorrain station.
The main steps in the system changes:
- Workshop with citizens - November 29;
- Finalization of the system changes - December and January;
- Presentation of the system changes and public consultation - February;
- Adjustments to the system changes - March;
- Adoption of the system changes by the Board of Directors - April;
- Preparation of schedules and driver's assignments - spring and summer;
- Fall service begins - August 28, 2023.
Opportunity study - Rapibus extention to Aeroport boulevard
Carried out in collaboration with CIMA+, the opportunity study that has begun in September will identify and analyze the needs and constraints of this additional section. It will demonstrate its relevance, while taking into account current and future mobility needs.
The study lasts approximately 18 months and includes public consultations at various key moments.
The main stages of the opportunity study:
- Establish the portrait of the territory and the need for the extension;
- Propose 3 route solutions that meet the objectives;
- Analyze and compare the 3 solutions;
- Present the results and recommended solution;
- Refine the recommended solution and table the final report in February 2024.
To carry out this study, we are working in collaboration with:
- The City of Gatineau;
- The Ministère des Transports du Québec;
- The National Capital Commission; and
- The Centre intégré de santé et de services sociaux de l'Outaouais.
Lorrain station: first infrastructure of the Rapibus' eastward extension
The Lorrain station, located at 115 boulevard Lorrain, was the first of the infrastructures to see the light of day as part of the Rapibus' eastward extension.
This station features:
- 219 parking spaces, of which six are reserved for people with reduced mobility, and four for expectant mothers;
- 4 bus platforms;
- waiting areas, one of which is closed, heated and protected from inclement weather;
- 2 non-covered supports that can accommodate up to 14 bicycles;
- 2 variable message signs (VMS) indicating in real time the next routes;
- 1 lit sidewalk that is accessible to people with reduced mobility, and that links rue Guigues and its surroundings to the station; and
- 1 bioretention basin to treat the water volume and quality: plants will be used to absorb the phosphorus in the water and filter it before it is released into Gatineau's storm sewers.
Main phases of the project
Spring to autumn2020
- Preparation of the terrain – Wildlife Barrier.
- Online information evening on November 24, 2020. Consult the following for more details:
- The presentation (available in French);
- The recording of the evening (available in French);
- The questions asked during the evening, and their answers.
- Architectural implementation and integration plan (PIIA).
- Selection of a general construction contractor.
- Start of construction work, including necessary three cleaning activities for the project;
2021, 2022 and 2023
- Construction work and implementation of environmental measures.
- Public consultation ion service changes in the Labrosse and Lorrain Boulevard sectors.
- The planning phase of the Rapibus extension to Aeroport Boulevard opportunity study begins.
Summer and Spring 2023
- Completion of construction work on the additional section of the Rapibus to Lorraine Boulevard.
- Commissioning of the new section between Labrosse and Lorrain stations, passing through the Lac-Beauchamp station.
- Tabling of the final report of the feasibility study for the extension of the Rapibus corridor to de l'Aeroport Boulevard.
- Press Release | November 15, 2022
Prolongement du corridor Rapibus : les citoyens invités à contribuer à la révision de service dans ces secteurs (in French only)
- Press Release | June 23, 2022
Le Centre hospitalier affilié universitaire (CHAU) aux portes du Rapibus (in French only)
- Press Release | June 20, 2022
Rapibus : en route vers le boulevard de l'Aéroport (in French only)
- Press Release | January 28, 2021
Début des travaux du corridor Rapibus vers Lorrain (in French only)
- Press Release | April 29, 2020
Preparation of the terrain in anticipation of the Rapibus extension to Lorrain (in French only)
- Press Release | April 23, 2020
Opening of the Lorrain station (in French only)
- Press Release | October 19, 2018
Five-year status report on the Rapibus corridor (in French only)
- Press Release | March 26, 2018
Government assistance program for public transit - The Government of Quebec announces more than $26 M for completion of the Rapibus (in French only)